Post Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)

Canada offers the PGWP as part of its efforts to attract and retain international students. The PGWP is a non-restricted work permit that permits international graduates to work for any Canadian business without needing a job offer. Post-Graduation Work Permits (PGWPs) are issued to international students who have completed their studies at a Canadian Designated Learning Institution (DLI). A post-graduation work permit (PGWP) allows you to stay in Canada and work full-time after graduating from a Canadian post-secondary institution for up to three years. The length of your program determines the duration of your work visa. PGWP is an excellent approach to improving your professional ambitions while also gaining Canadian work experience, which may require applying for permanent residence.

Here’s how to apply for a PGWP:

You must currently have valid temporary status or have left Canada to get a post-graduation work permit. You must have graduated from an authorized learning institution (DLI). You must additionally provide documentation that you meet all of the following requirements:

You have completed an academic, vocational, or professional training programme in Canada that lasted at least eight months and resulted in a degree, diploma, or certificate.

You have been a full-time student in Canada for each academic session of the programme or programmes of study they have finished and submitted as part of their post-graduation work visa application. 

You have received a transcript and an official letter from an eligible DLI certifying that you have completed the prerequisites for your program of study. A transcript and official letter must be included in the application for a post-graduation employment permit.

Application deadline for PGWP

The PGWP application deadline is 180 days after receiving a transcript and an official letter from a qualifying DLI verifying that the prerequisites for the programme of study have been completed.

If applying from within Canada, the candidate must have valid legal status at the time of application. If the study permit is about to expire without an official transcript and letter of completion, you have two options:

  • To stay in Canada, apply for a visitor record; or
  • Leave Canada and apply for the PGWP from another country.